Location – Cheapside, London EC2V (with some travel to Cambridge)
Hours – Full Time, 35 hours / 5 days per week
Reports to – Group Finance Director
Salary – £40,000 to £55,000, dependent on qualification level and experience
Allia is the UK’s leading organisation dedicated to helping impact ventures to thrive. We are pioneers in impact finance, having launched our first bond to tackle unemployment in 1999. Allia also provides innovation and incubation space for impact ventures through its Future Business Centres in Cambridge, Peterborough and East London and supports ventures to start up and scale through its accelerator and incubator programmes.
Through its Impact Finance division, Allia has extensive experience in bond issuance across sectors including housing, care and education. In 2014 it launched its Retail Charity Bonds platform, which has to date raised around £200 million for charities from retail and institutional investors through 8 bonds that are traded on the London Stock Exchange.
In March 2019, Allia purchased a controlling interest in City & Continental Ltd, an established London-based institutional fixed income broker. Through this acquisition, Allia is able to provide a wider range of debt advisory and arranging services to charities and impact businesses, which will help organisations get the deal that is best for them.
Who we are looking for?
We are different: a charity working in financial services; a small organisation with big ambition. We are looking for someone who shares our values and our aspiration.
This is an excellent opportunity for a newly qualified accountant (or exceptional part qualified) to take a key finance role as we go through an exciting period of transition and continued growth.
To support our further development, we have separated our activities into new operating companies; this role is primarily to head the finance activity for the Impact Finance subsidiaries.
You will, of course, be in charge of the finance function: responsibility for the underlying accounting books and records, prompt and accurate payment of suppliers, timely and accurate collection of income, efficient month-end procedures and management and financial reporting. But, with support from the Group Finance Director, you will increasingly get involved with the business: trade settlements, bond management etc.
Leading and managing your team and their development and capabilities will be a critical function of the role. We are looking for someone with high potential to inspire, manage and motivate, with responsibility for the output of the team and not just tasks within your own remit.
- Line management and development of the small finance team covering one-to-ones with individual staff members
- Managing all accounting, monitoring and reporting processes and procedures, including bank accounts, sales ledger and purchase ledger on Sage 200
- Ensuring trades are settled correctly within the due time frame
- Managing the bond and loan portfolio, including interest payments and redemptions, including oversight of bond management across the Allia group
- Maintaining the purchase ledger to ensure prompt and accurate invoice authorisation, supplier payments, accurate recording of liabilities, and to support cost control
- Managing day-to-day cash to ensure adequate resources while maximising funds available for investment
- Setting budgets and preparing weekly and monthly reporting of our financial position, as well as reporting to the Allia Group
- Liaising with auditors and preparing information to support the annual audit
- Procedures and reconciliations to ensure a prompt and efficient month-end
- Involvement with the company’s compliance, working with the in-house compliance manager
- Keeping abreast of changes in financial regulations and legislation
- Any other task that is deemed appropriate
- Qualified ACA/ACCA or exceptional part qualified (If appropriate, support will be given to finish qualification, which is expected to be completed quickly).
- Previous line management experience is essential
- Experience of Sage 200 would be advantageous
- Prior knowledge of financial services is desirable but is not essential
- Previous commercial experience is desirable
- Positive, problem solving approach
- A highly organised and efficient approach to work
- Willing to work flexibly to meet the demands of the business
- Diligent with strong attention to detail
- An approachable, friendly manner with a can-do attitude
- Self-motivated, able to work on own initiative
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter highlighting your key achievements to date and suitability for the role in no more than 300 words to: email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 7th September 2019.
Early application is encouraged, as we will be interviewing strong candidates as they apply, and should you leave your application to the closing date the position may have been filled.